The new Yammer is generally available worldwideJuly 21, 2020
Yammer connects and engages employees across the organization. Last November, we announced an entirely new Yammer experience, delivering new capabilities and integrations that power leadership engagement, corporate communications, and knowledge sharing across Microsoft 365. Today, we’re thrilled to announce that the new Yammer is now generally available for all customers. We’re also excited to unveil several additional features to help your organizations get more out of Yammer and collaborate across companies.
Here are some of the capabilities in the new Yammer that make communities and conversations more impactful:
Build communities with Microsoft 365
- Groups have been renamed communities
- Pin your favorite communities for quick access
- Add cover photos to your communities
- Discover events in the new Events tab
Reach your audience across the organization
- The Communities app for Microsoft Teams integrates the new Yammer into the hub for teamwork
- Add Yammer conversations to any site or page with the new web part for SharePoint
- Engage with Yammer conversations without leaving your Outlook inbox
- Customize the All Company community by renaming it and adding a custom cover photo and avatar
- Brand Yammer with your company logo on the Feed
- Grab attention with new styling for polls, praise, and questions
Empower anyone to be a communicator
- Share questions, polls, and praise as announcements to notify community members
- Pin important posts to the top of your communities
- Apply formatting and attach gifs
- Share links with automatically-generated previews
- Easily share files with the enhanced file picker that now includes recently used files
- Spark engagement with polls, praise, and questions that are showcased in the conversation feed
Improved live events and video experience
- Find and watch past, current, and upcoming live events in each community
- Produce live events using your webcam and screen sharing
- Host live events in the All Company community
Discover and share across your network
- Find relevant conversations, people and topics in the new, AI-powered discovery Feed
- Filter conversations to find unanswered questions, all questions or all conversations
- Use the updated suite bar to stay on top of notifications and search just as you would in other Microsoft 365 applications
- Find out more about people with Microsoft 365 profile cards that give you contact information, organizational relationships, and easy access to shared content
Manage the content in communities with more control
- Set the default publisher type to be a question
- Report conversations
- Close conversations that have come to a conclusion
- Change a conversation to a question – Community managers will soon be able to convert a regular conversation into a question, if the person creating the post didn’t use the Question type when creating it. This can be helpful to draw attention to unanswered questions and also to enable additional functionality like “Mark best answer”.
Yammer mobile superpowers
Modern organizations require mobile solutions that help connect employees and move work forward – wherever that work is happening. The new Yammer is available on iOS and Android, with some added improvements, including:
- Dark Mode is now available for Yammer mobile. Whether you prefer light or dark, now you can pick your favorite theme on either iOS or Android.
- New mobile video sharing that helps you instantly capture, edit, apply filters, and publish compelling videos up to 3 minutes long right from mobile.
The new Communities app for Teams for the desktop and Teams Mobile are now generally available, helping everyone, including Firstline Workers and deskless employees stay connected, receive important updates and alerts, attend live events, and share feedback and ideas across teams and locations.
Interactive conversations in Outlook
You can now engage with Yammer conversations directly from your Outlook inbox. See the full Yammer conversation, like, and reply directly from the email notification without having to switch applications or open a browser.
Updated Yammer Conversations web part for SharePoint
A new Yammer web part is now available for SharePoint Online. With this update, your existing Yammer web part will automatically inherit the new Yammer styling and bring added features to your SharePoint sites and pages. Learn more.
Security and compliance
We’ve also added additional admin controls like Native Mode to help organizations better manage their data, privacy, security, and compliance needs. Learn more about Native Mode and how to prepare your Yammer Network for benefits like eDiscovery, local data residency and SharePoint file storage here.
- Featured Conversations – Yammer administrators can boost the visibility of critical messages in the Home feed by featuring the conversation to drive engagement.
External guests in Yammer communities – add people from outside your organization to your Yammer communities using Azure B2B, which ensures admins can manage user data, privacy, and compliance. This change will also enable communities with external guests to host live events, create custom policies for file storage and community creation, support local data residency and more.
Bring the new Yammer to your organization
Microsoft 365 Global Admins and verified Yammer Network Admins can configure access to the new Yammer through the Yammer admin portal. Admins can enable the toggle in the suite header and choose the default experience for their network: classic Yammer or the new Yammer. Learn more about enabling the new Yammer for your organization and see our detailed Frequently Asked Questions.
Then people in your organization can use the toggle to switch between the new experience, and the classic experience in their home (canonical) networks. You will still see the classic Yammer experience in external networks.
Announcing a new Yammer ‘Ask Microsoft Anything' (AMA)
Bring all your questions and feedback about the new Yammer to this ‘Ask Microsoft Anything' (AMA) on Thursday, July 23, 2020, 9:00-10:00 AM PT. Members of the Yammer team will be online during this one-hour event to respond directly to your posts in the Yammer AMA discussion space.
Check out these resources to help your organization get started and go deeper on what’s new and what’s possible with the new Yammer. We’re continuing to develop and release features as we optimize Yammer for communities, engagement, and knowledge sharing across Microsoft 365. We’ll have more to announce and show at Microsoft Ignite. In the meantime, follow our blog and catch us on Twitter. Stay tuned!
– Murali Sitaram,
GM of Yammer and Microsoft 365 Groups, Microsoft